Saturday, March 15, 2008





Cliff passed away Thursday morning (12/20/07). The last time I talked with my friend and racing partner Cliff Ransom was about ten days ago. He has been heavely sedated; they call it pain management.

He said he "is almost there". Cliff sometimes says things in a manner that I don't pick up on right away. By "there", of course he is talking about passing on. Cliff is a very religious man and he is dying of Cancer. It is coming to a close, the greatest road trip in my life-our Bonneville partnership. Our friendship, however will be timeless.

Bonneville, this year, was a great adventure to me. We did not set any records but I got my time on the Salt; five runs on the short-course, my license and two runs over 150 mph!. We also had some great moments and, of course, made some new friends.

Cliff and I have talked about this time of his passing and I've told him about my concept of immortality. As long as he is a memory of some one who is alive, he will live. Cliff has touched many lives in many ways over the years and our Bonneville experience has touched the lives of everyone in my family let alone my circle of friends. His memory will run for generations; he will be immortal in that respect.

Cliff, over the years, has taught me a lot. He let the mechanical "monkey" out of my box and was working on teaching me patience when the Cancer started taking over. Of course, he has taught me about courage and honor.

It has been a great honor to have a man of Cliff's stature in my life. I hope that you, out there in this forum, are fortunate enough to have someone in your life like my friend Cliff. I know you do and my council is enjoy them as if it were your last days together. That is how its been with Cliff and I over the past six years or more, when we first learned about the Cancer. It makes his passing a little easier.

Cliff is in a better place now and the pain is gone. For those of us left behind, his family and friends, it is tough to let go even though we all know that it is good that his suffering has come to a close. “It’s been a good run these past few years”, Cliff said and I can’t say it any better. Bob

No comments: